Announcing Withenv 0.7.0
I pushed a new version of Withenv and thought it might be helpful to discuss some new features.
No More Shells
In order to make things easy for me, I used shell=True when calling commands within Withenv. I’ve removed that aspect and started parsing the shell commands in order to avoid the shell. Replacements should still work as expected.
This removes some security risk by explicit replacements and avoiding the shell. Shells can be leaky with environment information, and I’d like people to feel comfortable passing secrets via Withenv.
Withenv allows dynamic environment variables to be injected by calling commands and scripts. This was always a little kludgy to me. I had hoped I could do something like /bin/bash my.sh and inspect the environment afterwards in order to reuse local shell scripts people write to manage environments.
With that in mind, you often want to use a piped command. For example, lets say I’m trying to get a secret token. I might do something like this:
$ curl -X POST http://internal.auth.example.org/tokens | jq .user.token
I went ahead an implementing the piping between commands so you can use this sort of thing your Withenv YAML.
--- - IDURL: http://internal.auth.example.org/tokens - TOKEN: "`curl -X $IDURL | jq .user.token`"
There are two things I’ve been working on. The first is feature parity with the Go version. This has been for my own practice and to provide a lighter weight solution in that might be more palletable to a larger audience. The second is implementing some config file templates.
I wrote a version of this in Go, but I’d like to consider one in Python that uses a popular template language. The idea is you can provide a template and Withenv will use the environment as the context and write a file before starting the process. You could then configure the file to be deleted when tht process exits or even after some specified time where the upstream process should have already loaded it into memory.
This adds a lot of complexity, so we’ll see if it makes it. I originally wrote this tooling as another tool, which might be the best course of action. I’d also like to support the same config language in the Go version, but, for now at least, I’m hoping I don’t need to write a jinja2 parser in Go.